The kinderBAND™ cranial remolding orthosis is a custom made orthosis, available by prescription only. It is used to treat infants between 3 and 18 months of age for asymmetrical head shapes, such as positional plagiocephaly, brachycephaly, and scaphocephaly. The kinderBAND™ is made out of hypoallergenic foam and plastic that is all manufactured in accordance with GMP regulations as defined by Part 21 of the “Code of Federal Regulations”. The kinderBAND™ is 510k cleared by the FDA.
Download the helmet designs here.
WHY THE KINDERBAND™?
We designed the kinderBAND™ by combining the most advanced technology with over 80 years of clinical expertise. We developed a scanning system that is very comfortable, fast, safe and accurate. As a result, the kinderBAND™ is the most symmetrical design available today. It provides your child with the protection and support he or she needs.
WHAT WE DO
- We use the BioScanner™, so your baby sits comfortably on your lap.
- We use a special scanning hood that does not cover your baby’s eyes, nose or mouth.
- We shield your baby’s eyes during scanning.
- We let you hold your baby during scanning.
- We take 15 – 30 seconds to scan your baby.
- We use the BioScanner™ system, the most advanced technology in the field of Orthotics.
- We refer to the CDC growth charts to ensure the most anatomically correct design and symmetry for each baby.
- We utilize a team of: cranial surgeons, cranial specialists, 510k process engineers, reporting engineers.
WHAT WE DON’T DO
- We do not constrain your baby during scanning by holding their arms.
- We do not cover their eyes, nose and mouth with the scanning hood.
- We do not separate you from your baby during scanning.
HOW IT WORKS
Because infants experience rapid growth of the skull between 3 and 18 months, it is possible to remold an asymmetrical head into a more symmetrical shape. We achieve this symmetrical remolding by having the kinderBAND™ contact the head on the prominent areas, and creating space in the helmet for growth where the head is asymmetric. As the infant grows, the kinderBAND™ is customized to the developing skull on a 2-3 week interval by removing the interior foam lining. This encourages growth into the concavity formed in the helmet, thus achieving the desired skull and facial symmetry over time.
This is achieved through the following process:
- Scan the asymmetrical head
- Provide key measurements
- Provide key patient history
- Fit symmetrical* designed kinderBAND™
- Modify kinderBAND™ every 2-3 weeks during treatment
Cranial remolding orthoses have been successfully fit, when used under the prescription of a pediatrician, pediatric neurosurgeon, pediatric plastic surgeon or craniofacial surgeon. This method has been used since 1979, when Dr. Sterling Clarren reported on the use of cranial orthoses to treat plagiocephaly.
*Ideal symmetry is achieved between ages 3 – 9 months.